Every divorce, custody, or family dispute is challenging and emotional for the individuals involved. Through compassion and communication, Nicole’s personalized approach seeks to reduce her clients’ stress, while assisting in formulating her clients’ priorities and achieving her clients’ goals through settlement or litigation.
Nicole’s extensive experience as a family law attorney in the non-profit, public, and private sectors gives her a unique and significant perspective that she applies to her practice, and to her work as a mediator and court-appointed parenting coordinator. Nicole believes in settlement as a potential vehicle to accomplish her clients’ goals. However, when negotiation and compromise are no longer options, Nicole will zealously and competently protect and advocate for her clients in Court.
Even before becoming an attorney, Nicole’s strong desire to serve families and protect children was evident. Not only did Nicole work as a case specialist for Child Protective Services (CPS) which is now the Department of Children’s Services (DCS) and for Sojourner Center (a domestic violence shelter) as an advocate, she also served as a law clerk for a former Maricopa County family court presiding judge. This experience, along with Nicole’s subsequent position as a divorce and paternity mediator for the Maricopa County Superior Court, provides her with valuable experience and insight about the workings of the family court and judges’ decision-making processes.
Following a position managing the legal department of a local non-profit organization, Nicole practiced for many years as an associate attorney and later a partner at three boutique family law firms in Phoenix which handled complex divorce and custody cases. After working with Launi Jones-Sheldon for six years, Nicole and Launi continued their partnership and opened the law firm of Sheldon & Stoutner.
Over the years, Nicole has received numerous awards and recognition related to her work as a family law attorney. She also was invited to teach a course on family law as a part-time law professor at a local law school. On a regular basis, Nicole authors articles and presents Continuing Legal Education seminars through and for the Arizona State Bar, the Maricopa County Bar, the Arizona Chapter of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts and the Arizona Supreme Court Committee on the Impact of Domestic Violence. Topics include family law trial techniques and advocacy, current case law, mental health issues in the family court, autism and the family court, serving minority clients, orders of protection, multi-jurisdictional custody and support issues, and cultural competency.
Nicole is appointed to serve as a judge pro tem for the Maricopa County Superior Court and conducts Alternative Dispute Resolution Conferences, as well as private mediations. She is also a trained Parenting Coordinator and appears on the Maricopa County Superior Court Mental Health Roster.
In her spare time, Nicole enjoys reading, skiing, travel, sporting events, and most importantly spending time with her family.
Nicole speaks both Spanish and Italian.
- Arizona State University College of Law (J.D. 2005)
- University of Arizona (B.A., 2001)
Awards and Recognition:
- Recognized as an Arizona Super Lawyer “Rising Star” in family law by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business (2017 and 2018)
- Selected to participate in the State Bar of Arizona Leadership Institute (2009)
- Appointed to serve on the State Bar of Arizona Committee on Minorities and Women in the Law (2010)
- Appointed to the Arizona State Bar’s Family Law Executive Council (2016)
- Selected as one of Arizona’s “Forty Under 40” community leaders by the Phoenix Business Journal (2011)
- Voted a “Top Attorney” by North Valley Magazine (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018)
Professional Associations and Offices Held:
- Member of the Arizona State Bar Association (2007)
- Member of State Bar of Arizona’s Family Law Executive Counsel
- Member of the Arizona Women Lawyer’s Association
- Member of the Maricopa County Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of Los Abogados Hispanic Bar Association
- Former Chair of the Board of Directors of the Maricopa County Bar Association’s Family Law Section and presently serves as a Director Ex Officio
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of Gabriel’s Angels
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development
- Former Vice-Chair of the American Bar Association’s Young Lawyer’s Division, Family Law Section
- Former Member of the Los Abogados Hispanic Bar Association’s Board of Directors
Contact Nicole at (480) 531-1740 for skilled and experienced family law representation today.